How to avoid burns in a carpet cleaning company
Not all carpet cleaners are the same
First of all, you need to do some research. Would you buy a car without looking at the different models and retailers available? Most consumers would not buy the first one because they saw why they liked the color. A car is an expensive investment, so more research is needed to choose a car based on your lifestyle and budget, as well as your options and warranty. Just as a car is an expensive investment, so is carpet. You know that not all cars are the same. Some cars will take you where you want to go in style and performance, while others will just take you there. And just like there is a difference in quality between cars, there is also a difference between carpet cleaning companies.
In other words, buying the cheapest does not mean that you are getting the best deal. Consumers should look at the value of their purchases and not just the price. What method of carpet cleaning is used? Does the cleaner use top-of-the-line cleaning equipment and solutions? Are you hiring a knowledgeable company that is certified in all areas of the carpet cleaning industry? Do you offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the level of service you have received? You should ask these questions when you call to find a carpet cleaning company. If you don’t, you risk voiding your carpet warranty.
So what should you look for in a carpet cleaning company?
1. Make sure the company uses the method of extracting hot water from a truck-mounted unit. This is the number one method recommended by major carpet manufacturers. Using any other method, such as dry chemical, may void your warranty (see warranty for details). Hot water extraction provides the most thorough cleaning available, not only improving your cleaning results, but also cleaning your carpet of dirt, harmful bacteria, fungi, chemicals, pollen, and tobacco residue. Some people believe that hot water damages their carpet, but this is not true. By washing and then rinsing your carpet with hot water, we clean your carpet thoroughly. How effective would it be to wash dirty and greasy dishes in cold water compared to hot water?
2. The best carpet cleaning companies are those that have been certified by the Institute for Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification, known as IICRC. A carpet cleaning company cannot purchase this certification. The carpet cleaner must become certified through study, experience, and the successful completion of formal written examinations. Cleaners who are certified by the IICRC have, in effect, obtained a degree in carpet cleaning. The IICRC provides written credentials to the companies it certifies. So before choosing a carpet cleaner, ask to see a written proof of the company’s IICRC certification. To find an IICRC certified carpet cleaning company, you can call their referral line at 1-800-835-4624 or go to the IICRC website: http://www.iicrc.org.
3. Make sure the cleaning company guarantees your work in writing. Any reputable company will do it, but sadly, not all companies will. When you call a carpet cleaning company, ask what the cleaner will do if you are unhappy with the job. If you do not try to correct the problem or refund your money, all you can do is hope that the results of the work are satisfactory. Stop expecting good results and look for a cleanser that will guarantee your results.
4. Verify that the business is licensed, guaranteed, and insured. You can request proof of these credentials before hiring a cleaning company. Don’t assume that because a company is doing business that it is licensed and insured. Hiring a company without these credentials is a great risk.
Breathe easier with clean carpets
A carpet that has been removed from dirt, stains and debris is an important aspect of cleaning your carpets. But more important than appearance are the effects that carpet cleaning has on you and your family’s health. Outdoor air contains hundreds of chemicals such as pollen, fungi, bacteria, air pollution, cigarette smoke, automobile exhaust, and many others. When you and your family members enter your home, you carry these pollens, bacteria, and chemicals in your hair and on your skin, clothing, and shoes. Not surprisingly, all those chemicals, pollen, and bacteria end up on your carpet. If you have allergies, asthma, emphysema, or other respiratory problems, a major source of your problem could be pollen, fungus, and chemicals in your carpet.
You may find that you will breathe better after hiring a company to remove those harmful chemicals from your carpet. So in addition to removing dirt, another important reason to clean your carpet is to remove pollen, fungus, bacteria, chemicals, and tars and residues from tobacco smoke.
Consistency is key
Now that you know how to choose a carpet cleaner and why your carpets need to be cleaned, the next question is how often? Shaw Industries, the world’s largest carpet manufacturer, recommends that its carpets be professionally cleaned every 12 months. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends cleaning your carpets more often if you have children, pets, or smokers in the home.
“Carpets and fabrics that are not properly cleaned and maintained have the potential to cause a variety of health problems within the building environment,” said Michael Berry, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), former deputy director of the Office of Evaluation. and EPA Environmental Criteria.
Seven Questions To Ask Any Carpet Cleaner Before Inviting Him Into Your Home
1. What method of carpet cleaning do you use?
2. What type of equipment do you use to clean carpets?
3. What does your equipment remove from my carpet?
4. How often should I clean my carpets?
5. What training have you had in carpet cleaning?
6. Are you certified by the IICRC and will you show me your certificate?
7. Do you guarantee your work?