Are you going to live in Gilbert, AZ? Here are a dozen fun things to see and do
If you are considering buying a home in Arizona, it will be difficult to find a more comfortable and family-friendly city than Gilbert. Gilbert real estate continues to be affordable and has excellent neighborhoods and high-performing schools. Although technically a city, rather than a city, it has seen phenomenal growth over the past two decades, yet it continues to have a laid-back, small-town atmosphere that is the envy of other cities in the Phoenix metropolitan area. It has an ever-expanding variety of shopping and dining options, and excellent freeway access to the north and south. There are also countless ways to entertain yourself; the following are some of my favorites.
- Tea Gilbert Historical Museum, Located in the old Gilbert Elementary School it is the place to learn about the Gilbert of yesteryear. The exhibits cover the history of the city, its ranchers and cowboys, agriculture, irrigation, and mining. There are dioramas, classic fire equipment and also a military room.
- Tea Gilbert Farmers Market It takes place on Saturday mornings, rain or shine, all year round. You can buy fresh produce, gourmet coffee, meats, seafood; shop for eclectic gifts and household items, or grab a snack and listen to live music. You can even take the kids for a hayride!
- Freestone Park and Recreation CenterWith its wide open space it is a great place to spend the day. In addition to a lake for fishing, trails, volleyball, basketball, and baseball, there is a train and other attractions for the little ones. The Recreation Center has exercise facilities, youth programs, and a climbing wall.
- Tea Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch provides a great service to the environment. Situated on 110 acres, this facility passes treated city water through several lakes and dry beds. This serves to replenish the water table and provides shelter for many species of migratory birds. Various ecosystems have been replicated around the lakes, with an incredible variety of flora and fauna. Trails connect the different lakes and there are opportunities for fishing, biking, horseback riding, and even stargazing at night at the observatory.
- Tea Hale Center Theater in Old Town is reputed to be the oldest privately owned and operated theater company in America. Hosted by the Gilbert Fine Arts Association, you can attend a wide variety of plays and shows for adults and children.
- Fat cats It’s a ton of fun in one for kids of all ages. You can visit the arcade, play Glow Golf, shoot some frames, or watch a movie. The theater serves appetizers, sandwiches, and bar food right to your seat! It is a great place for your next birthday party or youth group. Spend a day and beat the heat!
- Cosmo Dog ParkNamed after Gilbert’s first K-9 officer, it is one of the top-rated dog parks in the country. It has many fields and hills for running, a lake for swimming for the dogs, a bathing area, and an area for shy dogs. Fido and Spot will love you for bringing them here!
- Gilbert Days Parade and Rodeo it occurs over three days in November. This fun, family-friendly event has its roots in the days of cowboys and ranchers. You can get your fix of ropin ‘and ride, have a funnel cake, and enjoy the festivities. The parade includes classic vehicles, floats and all kinds of riders and women doing their thing.
- San Tan Village it is one of Gilbert’s newest developments. A wide variety of shops Apple to Zumies They are represented in a shady outdoor area reminiscent of an old city center. From casual to exotic, you also have plenty of dining options, for lunch, dinner, or a relaxing drink on the patio.
- The city center, or Old Town As the locals call it, it is a great place for a walk. Bounded to the south by railroad tracks and to the north by a multipurpose trail, this area has an ever-growing selection of fine restaurants, a funky coffee shop, and an abundance of storefronts. You can stretch your legs and visit historic buildings, enjoy the park space, and see the historic Torre del Agua. Let the children loose in a fountain!
- If you are a golfer, there are several courses in town and close by. Western Skies, Greenfield Lakes, Seville Y Trilogy at Power Ranch They are courses that are suited to both hackers and scratch golfers.
- Speaking of golf, you can fine-tune your driving and much more at Top golf. Its 21st century version of the “old driving range” is a great place to take a lesson, have a drink or dinner with friends, or plan your next corporate outing or bachelor party.
There are so many things to see and do in Gilbert, Arizona; we just scratched the surface. Whether you are looking to buy a home in Gilbert or are moving to Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, or Tempe, be sure to visit Gilbert for a great time!