Acid reflux: the natural remedy
Acid reflux is experienced by many people who struggle with anxiety. In fact, feeling anxious often fuels the physical symptoms of acid reflux. When you are upset, the body produces more adrenaline and also increases stomach acid. This is irritating to the stomach and can create all the symptoms of reflux and GERD. There are definite symptoms of acid reflux and they are easy to identify:
-Common symptoms of acid reflux are:
• Regurgitation: a sour or bitter-tasting acid that returns to the throat when you burp.
Other symptoms of acid reflux disease include:
• Gaseous stomach
• Stomach swollen
• Dysphagia: the feeling that food is stuck in the throat.
• Burning in the back of the throat
• Hoarse symptoms, like laryngitis
• Wheezing, coughing, and a feeling of mucus in the throat
Causes of acid reflux
• Over weight
• Eating too much at a large meal.
• Tight clothes
• Anxiety and tension
• Rushed meals
• Spicy food
• Citrus foods
• Fried food
• Foods high in fat
• recline after meals
• Going to bed too soon after meals.
• Eating too late at night
Natural remedies for acid reflux
– Exercise daily
– Low-fat food options
– Lower sugar content in food.
– Previous dinner
– Smaller meals (4-6 smaller meals), spread over 3-4 hours
– Address and treat anxiety and stress.
– Avoid eating 3 hours before bedtime, avoid drinking 2 hours before bedtime
– Lose weight
– Antacids (Tums, Gaviscon, sodium bicarbonate)
– No tobacco
– No alcohol
Eating plan for acid reflux
Meat, Poultry and Fish:
Lean, grilled, steamed, baked, or broiled beef, chicken, turkey, or fish
Fruits: Melons, Berries, Apples, Peaches, Grapes, Bananas.
Vegetables: all vegetables, except tomatoes and onions, that are not spicy or fried.
Dairy: Low-fat dairy products, such as low-fat or fat-free milk, low-fat or fat-free sour cream, hard cheeses, ice cream. The best is fat free. Low in fat if tolerated.
Drinks: decaffeinated drinks, non-citrus fruit juices, water, non-spicy teas,
Breads and Grains: Low-fat breads and cereals. Oatmeal, pasta, cereals, brown rice, white rice, baked chips, whole grain breads (eg, rye, oatmeal)
Soups and Stews: Low fat base less tomato or onion.
Appetizers: low-fat, puddings, angel food cake, vanilla instead of chocolate, pretzels, popcorn, baked chips, graham crackers, crackers.
– Citrus. No lemons, limes, grapefruit
– Foods high in fat
– Mint: No mint teas, candy or gum.
– Whole milk or cream, whole sour cream, whole cottage cheese, whole cheeses
– Tomatoes. Tomato Sauces, Tomato Soups, Tomato Paste, Tomato Garnishes, Sauce.
– Fried foods: fried eggs, fried meats, fried chicken, fried fish
– Caffeine: coffee, tea, soft drinks.
– Garlic and onion
– Pineapple: Fresh, Canned, Frozen.
– Nitrites (found in bacon, hot dogs, and cold cuts like Bologna)
– Carbonated drinks
Remember that it is important to eat smaller meals, lose weight if necessary, elevate the head of the bed.
Do not eat for 3 hours before sleeping.
Do not drink for 2 hours before sleeping.
Wear looser clothing
Try not to slouch after eating. Sit straight
Learn anti-anxiety techniques and get a good night’s sleep
Antacids are helpful, but your diet and lifestyle are very important when it comes to acid reflux and GERD.